Friday, January 18, 2013

Books

I'm so glad I have kids that value books.  I had some books to pick up at the library and was headed that way after dropping Glenn off at school today for his Pajama Bee Band Party (and his cupcakes for his birthday).  He was SUPER excited and even brought his little pound puppy with him to school.  :-)  I realized on my way there that they weren't open yet and ran my other errands.  I also decided to take all the kids with me to the library too since I know they LOVE it there!

At the library we were able to get some great books.  The kids played (had books read to them) on the computer and I was able to search out some great reading books for Kaila. I did a search on the computer and saw Tiny (a series of books about a dog) listed and remembered they were great books for the kids in our special education class that I taught in that were learning to read.  I found them on the selves and picked up a few of them along with one other book from another series.  Tonight Kevin sat down with Kaila and she was able to read/sound out an entire book, "Tiny is Tiny."  She was so proud of herself!!! I love that she's a reader.  I was commenting to Kevin tonight that it's crazy to watch her learn to read.  Even with the reading program we are doing (we just completed lesson 34 tonight) I'm still surprised at how she is able to just sound out a work and read!  I love it.  I'm hoping to help her get further and further into reading as the year progresses and hopefully by 1st grade it won't be a challenge at all.  I LOVE that the reading program also focuses on comprehension and further investigation about what is being read with a picture to follow the story and more questions to provoke thoughts. 

No comments: