Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Summer Recap (Letter to Riley on His Mission)

Here on the home front Kaila had her 7th birthday in June and Addie had her birthday 2 weeks ago and is now 4.  She's super happy to now have gum (that's our house rule that you need to be 4 before having gum so it's been nicknamed by Glenn as "Gum Birthday").  

We were able to go on two family vacations this summer.  We went to Yellowstone to visit with my family for a family reunion with my parents, siblings, and their kids.  It was a lot of fun but really messed up Rowan and his sleeping.  He was going 7 hours at night and when we got back home was going only 2.  He was sleeping all day in the car as we were driving around which was great to make the days better but the nights were horrible!  I was so exhausted especially since he was only 5 weeks old when we were there.  

The kids loved Yellowstone (though I would go again until the youngest kids is at least 5-7).  We got to see Old Faithful, geysers, waterfalls, a wolf, coyotes, osprey, and a Moose.  The Mountains and scenery was stunning.  My favorite thing was seeing the Lower Canyon Falls hike (still can't believe I did that in flip flops while carrying a baby and only 5 weeks after giving birth).  It's steeper than Multnomah Falls but has the switch backs just like it going down but on gravel which was super tricking in flip flops with a baby pack in front of you and not being able to see your feet.  The view at the bottom was worth it all!  I'll try to attach a picture though it doesn't do it justice. 

He started to sleep better 5 hours at night but then we took off for Utah for Meg's baptism and his sleep got messed up again though one night while we were there he slept a long stretch which was wonderful.  The bad habit he picked up was needing/wanting to sleep with mommy at night.  It's nice but hard to fully sleep well too.  

We were able to stay a full week after the baptism and enjoy being with Stephen and the kids.  We went to Thanksgiving Point and went through the Dinosaur Museum there, ate frozen Custard (a few times), Temple Square, saw the new Joesph Smith movie, and the boys played tennis a few times.  The kids loved playing together.  It was fun to see them interacting together and using their imagination with all these different books they were playing with. I'm still not sure what they were doing since they said it was a secret and wouldn't let me know.

We stopped over in Boise to see my brother's family on the way back and enjoyed going to the YMCA there and went swimming.  The kids took lessons this past spring and into the beginning of summer.  Kaila is doing really well and has advanced to the class that swims the length of the pool the whole time now (S3.5).  Glenn has moved to the far deep end of the pool (P5), and Addie, our little fish, has moved into P4 in the middle of the big pool.  Addie seriously amazes me at what she can do swim, pull ups, climbing, you name it she will try to figure out how to do it. 

Rowan is 4 moths old now (today-Monday).  The time is flying by.  I can't believe it.  He's grown SO much!!!  He goes to the doctor on the 18th but I got him weighed after Addie's 4 year check up and he was 15lbs 4 oz and that was at 3.5 months.  All my other kids were just 18lbs at 1!!!  He's going to pass that up by 6-7 months.  My poor arms. ;-)  He's talking so much more now and laughing.  It's the best.  He loves chewing on his hands and the little stuffed owl on the side of the strap on his car seat. He prefers to sit up and loves to sit in his bumbo watching me cook or while i'm canning (pears and soon to be peaches and tomatoes this week).  He's such an easy baby and is very mellow and patient.  We have been very blessed to have him in our family.

Kevin's super busy with work which has been a huge blessing for our family right now.  Sadly he's had to pass on a lot of jobs because they are overlapping and I pray more work will come to him in October and on through the winter.  I'm slightly worried because he had a very slow winter last year and then low paying jobs in the spring and we depleted our savings to survive and just now are catching back up and starting to put some money back in the bank.  We just don't have enough to allow for a slow winter again.  Pray for more work to come our way that will support our family and be what we and Kevin needs.

I'm finally feeling like I have my energy level back up.  I just joined a small group of ladies trying to reach their own health goals.  I'm trying to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight.  I know I can do it and hoping this group will help me over this last hurdle I have.  It starts to do so wish me luck.  I also have been enjoying canning all the fresh produce.  I'm hoping to figure out a childcare schedule so I can volunteer at the school and help the kids out with their reading like I have the past 2 years with Vaughn.  Glenn just started Kindergarten and Kaila's now in 2nd Grade so we have two classrooms to help out in this year.  I love that Vaughn like to come and be involved.  Kaila has loved having us both there and we love to see her face light up when she sees us.

No comments: