Friday, March 01, 2013

Lying

Lately Glenn has taken to lying.  We went through this awhile ago last year and I remember being so frustrated about it.  I even remember talking to our pediatrician about it before.  We had been taking his toys and putting them in time out when they were left out and he wasn't picking them up when asked.  She recommended when he told the truth he would earn a toy back.  It worked a bit but I don't remember why he started telling the truth again.

This week he started with the "I don't know" when asked a question about what happened or how something happened.  Then he would change his statement to "somebody did it."  Kevin and I would both tell him that it's always better to tell the truth and that he needs to tell us what really happened.  I've finally got him believing that I know all.  It took a few days of catching him in a lie.  It's been a rough few days of him sadly getting longer time outs for not telling the truth.  Yesterday as I was tucking Glenn into bed he said, "Mom, you know who got the stamps out?"  I asked him "who?"  He then points to himself.  I told him I knew and then he then wanted to know how I knew. I told him I know everything.  Then today again he was asking how I know everything and I said I have good problem solving skills.  When Kaila goes into the room and freaks out that the stamps are out and I know that Addie doesn't have a clue where the stamps are then that leaves one person left.  I'm such a smart mom.  :-)  I'm hoping that him knowing that I know (I'm also really good at reading faces to detect the truth) will help him choose to tell the truth right away and just get in trouble for that and not for what he did PLUS not telling the truth too.

No comments: