Saturday, August 23, 2008

While reading a friends blog I found out a dear sweet sister in our ward (congregation at church) passed away this morning. Our dear sweet Esther Dickey has been in our ward forever. I've known her my entire life and I remember when I was about 7 or8 going over to their house for Thanksgiving dinner. Her husband gathered some carrots and other vegetables from their green house and made some vegetable juice. I remember telling him that it was gross and so he made me try it. It wasn't terrible but I didn't want any more. Esther made the most beautiful turkey I have ever seen. I remember finding the picture of the turkey later in life and being amazed every time I saw it.

Esther was always so sweet to me and I know she cared about many people. Our neighbors, the Wagner's, while I grew up were friends of hers too and we would talk about them together. She was always trying to share the Gospel any way she could with them.

I also remember once while on vacation with my family in Utah that my dad shared a story about what happened in his class. They were talking about food storage and out came Ester's book. They talked about it the entire time. They were amazed that my Dad actually knew her.

Esther always bore her testimony through song and word. She took notes, and wrote thank yous to those giving talks that touched her. She tried to live a very healthy life and to be the best example she could be. She helped my own mother see how to organize her home and to know what really was important in life (not stuff).

I will miss seeing Esther at church every Sunday and giving her hugs. I know she is so happy being reunited with her Husband that has been gone for 20 years now. What a happy reunion they are having.

1 comment:

Stephen Shelton said...

Wow; we loved sister Dickey too.